Monday 27 September 2010

Traffic Calmers



Imagine creating a perfectly passable road - with proper asphalt, curbs and lighting, then placing obstacles purposefully along the way. My British driving instruction manual refers to these impediments as 'traffic calmers' - intended to slow the speed of vehicles, to deter those who would drive with too heavy a foot through a neighbourhood or other speed-sensitive area.

All too often we speed through life, unaware of the special gifts that present -dramatic autumn colours, the true flavours of lunch, instantaneously accessing information via the internet, hearing friendly voices from across the pond. What I periodically require in my day is a 'traffic calmer' - something that encourages me to do more than speed throughout life. I discovered 'traffic calmers' in everyday problems that require me to pause; in the prose written by an ancient king, 'Be still and know that I am God.' Psalm 46.10.

Strange as it may sound, rather than cursing 'traffic calmers', I have come to give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment